The National Safety Council recently released a study of preventable deaths and discovered that 2016 was not a good year when it came to safety. In fact, preventable deaths in Colorado increased 10%, the number of reported preventable deaths increased by 5.7% that same year. For Colorado, there were numerous reasons why preventable deaths were on the rise. In particular, however, three causes resulted in 75% of all Colorado accidental deaths.
- Poisoning – more than a third of the preventable deaths in Colorado were due to poisonings, with the majority being opioid-related. Prescription medications and counterfeit drugs have all contributed to the problem and make it easier for individuals to overdose.
- Car Accidents – In 2016 more people died in car accidents than in previous years. Shockingly, while 16% of those deaths involved distracted driving, lack of seat belt use was responsible for the majority of those fatalities. In addition 27% of road deaths in Colorado were caused by intoxicated drivers.
- Falls – falls were the third factor in Colorado’s recent increase in preventable deaths and in 2016, 871 people lost their lives because of a fall accident. The majority of fatal falls occurred in people over the age of 75 years of age.
Reducing Your Risk of an Accident
While no one can prevent an accident with 100% certainty, there are things you can do now to reduce your risk of injury.
- Always buckle up
- Never drive intoxicated
- Never drive under the influence of drugs
- Obey all posted speed limit signs
- Do not engage in road rage
- Avoid the overuse of drugs – even prescription drugs
- Have your eyesight checked regularly to avoid falls
- Do assessments of your home for tripping or falling hazards
- Wear a motorcycle helmet whenever you ride
- Never text and drive
- Don’t talk on phone while driving
- Check the weather before you head out on the road
- Have your car inspected thoroughly
- Change tires frequently and monitor tire tread depth
Have You Been Injured in a Pueblo Accident?
If you or someone you love has suffered an injury because of another person’s negligence, it is important to seek experienced legal counsel immediately. Call Pueblo attorney Mickey W. Smith, today for a FREE CONSULTATION – (719) 544-0062. He will give you the attention you deserve and fight aggressively for your rights after a serious accident. Without a Pueblo personal injury attorney on your side, you could be unable to collect the money you need to fully recover. Call today!